Chiropractic and acupuncture can offer a great way to manage pain naturally. They are alternatives to using drugs to manage pain, and are much healthier for the body.
Millions of Americans depend on over the counter and prescription drugs to manage pain. Here are some reasons why this may not be such a good idea:
- Painkillers are NSAIDS (non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen and Motrin) and COX-2 Inhibitors (prescription drugs such as Vioxx and Celebrex). These drugs are linked to heart attacks and strokes.
- The FDA has asked manufacturers of drugs containing acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) to change the labeling to limit the dosage and add a liver toxicity warning.
- Vioxx is a painkiller that was pulled off the market in 2004 after 60,000 people died from its increased heart risks.
- The painkiller NSAIDS can also cause gastrointestinal problems such as bleeding in the stomach. Many people find they can’t take these drugs for this reason.
Chiropractic care, by working on aligning the spine, will help reduce pain by restoring the body to better function, and muscles are less tight and work with less strain. Acupuncture helps with pain as well, as it releases endorphins, which are painkilling hormones, and are like opiates that go into the brain. Have you ever had runner’s high? That’s the endorphins kicking in.
Tips for Natural Pain Relief:
- Chiropractic and acupuncture are an effective drug free alternative to use for back pain, neck pain, headaches, joint pain, sports injuries, and pain from arthritis and fibromyalgia.
- Hidden or known allergies to food, the environment or even pets can cause an immune reaction and this in turn can be a cause of acute or chronic pain. Dr. Foley specializes in using NAET Allergy Elimination techniques to detect and eliminate these allergies, and any symptoms, such as pain, that they may cause.
There are some very effective supplements that can be used:
- For pain relief White Willow bark, is a natural form of salicylic acid (which is used in synthetic form in aspirin).
- For inflammation try Omega -3 fish oils. I always recommend using enteric coated fish oils (which open in the small intestine) so there is no fishy aftertaste.
- For joint pain and arthritis you can combine the above with Glucosamine Sulfate (no Chondroitin needed). Glucosamine needs to be in a sulfate form to be best absorbed.
- Always make sure you buy good quality supplements with superior ingredients. This assures you that they nutrients will be absorbed and utilized by your body.
- A diet low in grains and sugars will help to reduce inflammation in the body. Grains, including wheat, barley, oats, rice, and any processed sugars can also cause joint pain.
If you have any questions or would like a Free Consulation please call Dr. Erin Foley at 303-271-1701.